UG Rap Community

Aktuelle Zeit: 08.09.2024, 00:26

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde

Ein neues Thema erstellen Auf das Thema antworten  [ 41 Beiträge ]  Gehe zu Seite 1, 2, 3  Nächste
Autor Nachricht
 Betreff des Beitrags: Rakim
BeitragVerfasst: 20.01.2004, 12:26 
Globaler Moderator

Rakim Allah:
Guess Who's Back - Day 1

Bild

Interview Conducted Friday January 16th, 2004!!!

ThaFormula.com - Aight Ra, basically I wanted to pick up where we left off the last time. When we left off you were a couple of months away from dropping your album on Aftermath. What happened from there?

Rakim - Me and Dre man we decided to cut it short man. We had creative differences. Basically I wanted to do what I felt the world wanted me to do. My man Doc (Dr. Dre) wanted me to bring the guns back out, simple as that and I respect that 'cause that's the way he gets down but I don't think the world wanted that from Ra at this time. So I decided to come back to the East Coast and get it poppin' back off man.

ThaFormula.com - Through your whole time there before this happened did you ever get the sense that you were gonna probably end up leaving? I mean did you really feel that this album was gonna drop on Aftermath? Because a grip of people felt that what happened to guys like King Tee, Last Emp, Eve, Hittman, and others might happen with your project?

Rakim - Well yeah, after a while I felt that way I wanted to do things, he definitely wanted to do some things different and my thing was, I don't like to quit on nothing. Once you're in the ballpark, lets straight ball. So you know we was trying to make it work and my problem was trying to please both sides of the fence and you can't do that. So at the end of the day, Dre respected me for it but you know I had to stick to my guns and you know keep that integrity up as far as what I do and stay focused to what I do cause I think that's what people respect me for till this day. You know just stickin' to my guns and never changin' and always going my own direction. I never did what everybody else is doing at the time. I always try to go left if they going right or talk black if they talkin' blue.

ThaFormula.com - Another thing that gets talked about a lot are the Primo tracks that were rejected. A lot of people were very angry when they heard this. Was it really that serious of an issue?

Rakim - I don't know if that was between Premier and Aftermath, but yeah it was like a few other cats from the East Coast as well that submitted some things that I felt you know that I should be on.

ThaFormula.com - How were those Primo beats that were submitted man?

Rakim - Primo sent me a few heaters, and you know it's like I know the way Premier works. Premier he's kind of like me. I make beats too, and when I'm at the crib doing pre-production, I make the frame of the beat and when I'm writing a rhyme sometimes I might write you know, 12 bars and come back later and change the whole 12 bars into something different but I put the frame up and that's the way Premier do. Premier knows, "yo I'ma send Ra this, if he like it then he gonna put his rhymes to it and then Primo will take it to the next level. But I guess Dre and them wanted Primo to send them complete tracks done from top to bottom. I think that was the only difference man 'cause I know Dre respects Premier and vice versa. But I think it was just Aftermath trying to keep up with the project and keep everything on top of the table and Premier you know how we work in the studio, but Aftermath…I guess the staff wanted what they wanted when they wanted it man. But it ain't no love lost.

ThaFormula.com - Now did you read the article in The Source about producers leavin' Aftermath?

Rakim - Yeah I checked it out. Chuck and Mel-Man are my peoples.

ThaFormula.com - Was it true what they said about you getting thrown second hand producers or something like that and that you and Dre never really got together in the studio?

Rakim - Well part of that true. As far as me and Dre working together, we definitely worked together on a few tracks but what it was, was that when another producer sent a beat, what I do is I take the track go to the studio and write to it myself. Once I finish with it then I go holla at Dre, but anything that Dre did then I would be sittin' right there, with him. But the thing is for the album we should have been side by side more, instead of looking for a lot of the other producers, me and Dre should have been in the studio just nailing that shit out.

ThaFormula.com - Most people hoped it was gonna be you and Dre in the studio recording a whole classic album together when you signed to Aftermath?

Rakim - That's what I wanted bro. But things happen and I don't know if Dre had the time to really get in the whole project 'cause you know doing a Rakim album ain't easy man and you know what Dre is doing is not hard for him, but I guess making a transition from East Coast to West Coast is a different vibe.

ThaFormula.com - Was it ever the label getting in the way of things or trying to rush the project?

Rakim - Nah, it wasn't really the label. It was just me and Dre trying to find that same page where he wanted me to do this and I wanted to do this so it wasn't the label.

ThaFormula.com - So basically you and Dre were never really able to find the chemistry that you would have liked or chemistry similar to what you and Primo have?

Rakim - Word Up. It's like I know the way Premier works. Premier is a East Coast producer and he definitely knows what Rakim is, and the thing is I got crazy respect for Premier, where if Premier will do something you know he might send me a track and I might play it the first time and I might not understand it the first time. So I'll put it to the side come back about an hour or two hours later 'cause it happened before. Put the shit back in and me and my brother was like "yo Premo crazy man!" So you know I like producers like that. It's like my rhymes, sometimes you might not get that shit the first time. Play that shit the next time you might not get it but after a while you start pickin' up like oh okay I see what he did.

ThaFormula.com - It's funny I always felt that way about the "Don't Sweat the Technique" album, at first I was disappointed but as I listened to it a few years later I realized that was one of your best if not the best. Many people really slept on how good of an LP that was...

Rakim - And I think they did because again I always go left. I wasn't looking for the familiar track sound. I was looking for classic shit. I did some things on there that I knew would never get played on the radio and I didn't care, but I knew that my dogs and my true listeners is gonna throw it in the walkman, in the truck, and zone out on it. That's what I like doing man and maybe that's why I'm still here 'cause people know I go the extra yard to try and get them to listen.

ThaFormula.com - How many tracks did you end up recording at Aftermath in the 2 years that you were there?

Rakim - I did like 18 joints. A lot of the time was you know waiting for beats and producers, sitting around for a couple of weeks without tracks.

ThaFormula.com - How many of those 18 did you work on with Dre?

Rakim - About 3.

ThaFormula.com - That's crazy. Now Ra in between those 2 years, how do you get by seeing that you have no album out?

Rakim - Well luckily I got a good accountant man named Bert Biddell and I been with him since '86 man and along the way getting my paper doing my tours man, I saved wisely bro. I got a nice crib, got the family stretched out you know? Got the kids in a nice school. But you know just spending money wisely man. In the earlier days you know I used to go crazy with the jewelry. I used to go crazy with the car systems and you know the Gucci interior. I still get my toys but I'm a little more laid back with it, I still get my jewels but I'm a little more laid back with it. Like right now I'm livin' for my family man, you know my kids. I'd rather see them blinged up then look in the mirror and see myself. You know I did that already, but I ain't gonna front, I don't mind a nice piece of jewelry man but you know I love seeing my kids you know that way I wanted to be when I was they age you know. Fresh kicks, fresh clothes, you know a little jewelry on. All the games they can think of so it all goes to them man but I been blessed with a good accountant. He takes care of me and shows me how to spend my money.

ThaFormula.com - Now we got to talk about what a lot of people have been a little angry about recently and that's the Hennessey ads that have been popping up in the streets. People wanna know why is Rakim promoting alcohol? Even though they forget you did this before along with Cube, EPMD, and others with the St. Ides commercials back in the day…

Rakim - What I say about that is what they got to understand is I study Islam but I grew up in the 'hood. I grew up a young kid in the 'hood doing the same thing that they doing. I'm not 100 percent righteous man. I got gun charges, so you know I did it all when I was young. This is Hip-Hop that I'm representing and in Hip-Hop people like to have a good time. It's all about a party and since the St. Ides thing I was doing, my thing was people is gonna get high but do it responsibly. As far as me doing the ads, like I said man, this is Hip-Hop. The most talked about liquor in hip hop is what?

ThaFormula.com - Hennessey...

Rakim - If it ain't the Cristal, the most talked about liquor is Hennessey.

ThaFormula.com - No doubt, but I had to hit you up on that 'cause some people are just surprised and upset about it...

Rakim - That's good though man 'cause they are conscious of it, but like I said I'm not 100% righteous and even Jesus Christ poured what?

ThaFormula.com - Wine...

Rakim - So the wine is not negative man. It's what you do when you drink the wine that makes some people negative. But the alcohol itself is from the earth, it's grapes man. Jesus Christ poured wine to be merry so I don't think the alcohol is bad, I'm not gonna say it's good and I don't want nobody to take it that way, but understand that's not what's bad. Like you can give a good person a car and give the bad person a car and what's the bad person gonna do with the car? He gonna do crime with that car, he's gonna do robberies with that car, he gonna do whatever the fuck he can with it. You give a good person that same car, he gonna go to work and chill with the car and take care of it but again man I'm not trying to say alcohol is good. To me anything I do if it makes sense then I deal with it. Hennessey is you know one of the biggest companies in the Industry as far as sellin' liquor. What I'm thinkin' is, no doubt Hennessey we building up a nice rapport with each other. I'm looking for them to sponsor tours for me, I'm looking for them to do things for me so I can touch these people you know what I mean? I'm always laid back and underground but I choose to do certain things to touch certain people. Like I even did a South Pole ad back in the day because South Pole is represented in the 'hood. No rappers were rocking no South Pole. But it makes sense 'cause that's what it is in the 'hood. So to see Ra in that, it brings me closer to them and that's where I like to stay.

ThaFormula.com - What about the St. Ides commercials? Did you get any problems with those back then?

Rakim - Well back then it was brought up but I think the way I did it and what I said in the commercials people wasn't really mad at it. But people was like "yo Ra what's up with the alcohol commercial?" and I told them, "look man, instead of people coming down and you know getting fucked up, go ahead and drink a beer relax and enjoy yourself." That's the way I was looking at it and people couldn't get upset at that 'cause at the end of the day my man, people gonna sip they sip, they gonna smoke they smoke and they gonna do what they do. The thing is if they doing something wrong nobody wants the next person to know about it, but I never hid nothing that I did. You know I make my bed and I sleep in it. I don't do nothing I can't tell my kids about and you know that's what it is man, and you know as far as the alcohol that's what Hip-Hop is man. If that's what's in the club, then every time they see a Hennessey bottle, every time they sippin' some Henney, they gonna think of Rakim Allah and if that changes their thoughts you know what I mean? It might be something good out of it. If that changes they thoughts to just be "yeah I'm chillin' man, sippin' my little Hen-dog, I'ma never blend, I'ma sit back and chill." It might do that to people so when I make my decisions man, I think of the positives and the negatives, but at the same time I let Allah make that decision for me. I'm not gonna tell you that Allah told me to do that, but maybe this is why he told me to do that. People see Rakim as a laid back conscious cat, boom, boom, boom. Go ahead put me on a Hennessey ad and maybe it will change their thoughts like "yeah this is a cool out drink, this is a grown ass man drink right here," so maybe it'll be that.

ThaFormula.com - On Wednesday January 28th, 2004, We Big Up Ra's Birthday By Bringing You Day 2 Of Our World Exclusive Feature With Tha Legendary Rakim Allah. We Continue Speaking on Tha Hennessey Ads, His Moves After Leaving Aftermath, And His Highly Anticipated Upcoming Album. So Stay Tuned In As We Continue To Walk Through Tha Darkness...

Be sure to join the over 300,000 Industry Heads that have signed up to our exclusive mailing list!! Click here to join and receive exclusive interviews only available to members. Leave contact info ( name & email address) at info@thaformula.com and we will contact you to confirm your membership.

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 20.01.2004, 13:22 
Globaler Moderator

mal wieder zu Dre.....2-3 Jahre und nur drei Lieder :thumbdown: , die wahrscheinlich eh Melman gemacht hat.....
Unter Producer versteh ich etwas anderes.............

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 20.01.2004, 18:22 
Site Owner

hinfort mit rakim :razz:

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 20.01.2004, 20:03 
Globaler Moderator

chainsnatcha hat geschrieben:
hinfort mit rakim :razz:

Auf jeden...soll sich nen anständigen Job suchen :razz:

Shop: https://www.rapmazon.com/
Email: info@rapmazon.com

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 20.01.2004, 22:18 

boah dieser rakim hat in diesem i-vew echt an glaubwürdeigkeit bei mir verloren, als ich mir seine billige rechtfertigung für die alkohol werbung von ihm durchgelesen haben, wie armselig ! erst das mit jesus: wenn jesus schon wein getrunken hat, kann es ja gar nicht schlecht sein, alles klar! und dann diese billige abschweifung mit dem vergleich zwischen autos u. alkohol, wie logisch :bonk: was hat kriminilles potential(und dann noch mit autos :bonk: ) mit einer sucht zu tun, pfui rakim ... pfui.
und wie herbe er sich widerspricht: zuerst sagt er, dass er genau das gegenteil von dem macht, was gerade kommerziell erfolg hat und angesagt ist, und bei der frage mit der hennessywerbung ist seine billige ausrede "ich representiere hiphop und was ist das angesagteste getränk in hiphop?". wirklich nur erbärmlich genau wie seine playback-tour in deutschland.
ich bin bestimmt kein richter, und ich veurteile keinen, der werbung für alkohol macht, weil ich es wahrscheinlich auch für die kohle auch machen würde. mich regt nur dieses verlogene getue wirklich auf, "man muss ja auf sein consciousness image achten". hätte er einfach ehrlich und kurz geantwortet, dass es ihn im endeffekt nix angeht, dass leute saufen, hätte ich mich kein bisschen aufgeregt, sondern ihn nur n bisschen belächelt.
und so ein geschwafel von einem der angesehensten und "kredibilsten" rapper der hiphop geschichte. ich bin angewidert, hätte ich nicht erwartet.
und wie gönnerisch er seinen kindern juwelen kauft,"alles für die kinder",lol, dieser prollo !

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 20.01.2004, 22:21 

der steckt halt immernoch in den 80-ern fest

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 28.02.2008, 17:55 
Globaler Moderator

New Album From Rakim, "Live, Lost & Found," to Be Released on March 4th

Legendary lyricist Rakim is set to release a brand new album titled "Live, Lost & Found" on March 4th, 2008. "Live, Lost & Found" features four previously unreleased tracks, including the new single "It's Nothing," as well as an additional 17 tracks of classic Rakim material performed live...

Rakim is near-universally acknowledged as one of the greatest MCs -- perhaps the greatest -- of all time within the hip-hop community. His flow is smooth and liquid, inflected with jazz rhythms and carried off with an effortless cool that makes it sound as though he's not even breaking a sweat.

After teaming up with Queens DJ Eric B. in 1986, Rakim recorded a string of classic material like "Eric B. Is President," "I Ain't No Joke" and "Paid in Full." The duo's first two full-length albums, 1987's "Paid in Full" and 1988's "Follow the Leader," are still regarded as all-time hip-hop classics; Rakim's work set out a blueprint for other, similarly progressive-minded MCs to follow, and helped ensure that even after the rise of other fertile scenes around the country, East Coast rap would maintain a reputation as the center of innovative lyrical technique.

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 05.03.2008, 17:59 

die 4 tracks von dem release gehen mir sehr gut rein. hätte ich irgendwie nicht gedacht. jetzt fehlt nur noch ein album!

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 05.03.2008, 18:42 
Globaler Moderator

Wer hat denn die 4 neuen Tracks produziert? Weiß das einer?

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 05.03.2008, 18:49 

"Hip Hop" (Produced By Nick Wiz)

"It's Nothing" - (Produced by Just Blaze)

"love 4 sale" & "word on the street" habe ich keine infos zu.

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 05.03.2008, 21:51 
Globaler Moderator

Sind wohl schon was älter dann,oder? Von nick Wiz habe ich schon länger nix mehr gehört und Just Blaze hatte doch schon vor Jahren mal mit Rakim gearbeitet (oder es war angekündigt)... :notsure:

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 07.03.2008, 21:43 

Finde die vier Tracks auch ganz gut. Der Refrain von "Love 4 Sale" ist zu geil :ugly:

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 23.07.2008, 18:58 
Globaler Moderator

Rakim Preps "The Seventh Seal" For Fall Release

After a brief stint on Aftermath Records that saw his highly anticipated collaborative album with Dr. Dre permanently shelved, it would be easy to assume Rakim picked up that nasty habit of only releasing a new album every six years. While most us of were scrambling to hear the limited amount of leaked material from Oh My God via the Internet, Ra promised what he felt was a less compromised sound via his own label.

With Hip Hop’s Digital Age in full effect, Rakim Allah has the arduous task of proving he can continue to evolve and adapt. During a brief encounter backstage at Rock The Bells, Ra explained the delay with The Seventh Seal and the process of seeing sounds.

HipHopDX: What’s going on with The Seventh Seal?
Rakim: You can expect that two to three months from now. I’m going hard on that and I’ve got some surprises on there. I’m really ready to just let the world hear it.

DX: You listened to jazz and played saxophone as a child. How did that influence your style and your ear for music?
R: I think it let me see music a little more and let me see more colors. My moms and my pops loved music. Coming up being around jazz and the Motown sound, and letting that soak in [helped]. I played the sax and the drums a little bit and that just helped me see the music a little more.

DX: You have such an extensive catalog, but you’re still creating music. As much as you respect your classics, is there ever a point where you want people to pay more attention to the newer material?
R: The old stuff is what got me here though. That’s like my foundation. I love that for what it is, and that’s what makes people understand me. They need that to know what I’m about to do next. So, in no way do I shrug my shoulders at the old stuff. That’s my legacy.

DX: With the industry the way it is with low sales and all the downloading, what would you consider a success for this project?
R: Well I have my own label [Ra Records] now, so I want to be a success in terms of sales. But, more importantly, I have to keep my integrity and hit that Rakim standard. If I can hit that standard I’m cool. I was never a big-selling artist. I was sort of underground my whole career, but eventually my albums touched platinum. So I still consider myself underground. Like I said, I just want to reach that Rakim standard and have everybody understand that I’m still that dude. If people see that I’ve progressed with it and I’m mature with it, then that’s my success.

DX: You’ve worked with some of the best producers out and you are rumored to have a very discriminating ear. What does a producer need to bring to put you in that zone?
R: You know what’s difficult for me? I hear music differently, so a lot of times I won’t pick the beats that are the norm. I don’t pick what people expect a rapper to rap on. I pick the more intricate beats, where as soon as I hear them I can see something—a title or a mood.

That’s what influenced me so much about jazz. A lot of jazz records didn’t have words, but as soon as you played them it put you right in the mood. You could almost see the smoky bar and the jazz players around you. So, when I can see the music before I even start to write to it, that’s the direction I tend to lean toward. A lot of times it’s not the big million dollar seller or the club banger. It’s really just something I can mess with to make people say, “Okay, that’s that Rakim classic thing right there.” So, yeah it’s a little difficult picking beats with me.

Rakim's latest effort, The Archive, Live Lost and Found, has been distributed via Koch and is currently available in retail and digital formats.

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 15.07.2009, 15:46 
Site Owner

Face97 hat geschrieben:

Soll jetzt am 15.09 kommen, Cover gibt's schon, Tracklist noch nicht...

Bild

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 15.07.2009, 15:48 

bdm hat geschrieben:
Face97 hat geschrieben:

Soll jetzt am 15.09 kommen, Cover gibt's schon, Tracklist noch nicht...

Bild

Rakim - Holy are you

erster track davon... gääääääääääähn

Ein neues Thema erstellen Auf das Thema antworten  [ 41 Beiträge ]  Gehe zu Seite 1, 2, 3  Nächste

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde